"You Only Live Once" video still; The Strokes

Your own personal jesus


Sunday, August 30, 2009

You may say you're not artistic


After man's ability to reason right from wrong, the thing that sets him apart from animals is his ability to produce art and culture. If one were to argue that other animals have consciences, then art and culture would reign as the definitive difference between us and them.

Whether or not an individual might see his or herself as artistic, creative, etc-- I have still yet to find someone who doesn't at least appreciate some aspect of the arts and of culture. And at the end of the day I believe most people yearn to create, whether they believe they can or can't.

So I thought this was a pretty spectacular concept in making that venue available. (Music fanatics should appreciate the video too-- the music overlay is pretty sweet.)

"Body Paint" Installation at "Clicks or Mortar", March 2009 from Memo Akten on Vimeo.

The "Body Paint" installation here, done by Memo Akten, is created by the public as the virtual canvas interprets their motions and gestures into an orchestra of colors producing an evolving composition.


This reminded me of an earlier public forum art project done in London that ran until July 14th, where over 30 pianos were placed in various locations (streets, stations, public spaces) around the city for the people to bust out in spontaneous recitals. The project had a touching and beautiful effect, "increasing a sense of public spirit in a city which often feels cold."




Anyway,

on my next birthday, instead of posting a good wish on my facebook (which you are of course still welcome to do I still really appreciate that)-- make me a birthday card, sing me happy birthday

your inner human being will appreciate it ;p






Things that came up today:
  • automatic vs. manual
  • lap desks
  • roasted salsa
  • plain yogurt
  • studded leather jacket from Twenty8Twelve a/w 09 collection
  • "I Hope You Dance" - Lee Ann Womack
  • Company at UCLA's Spring Sing '08 - Biochem
  • are you getting your fiber



If you are reading this post via Facebook, View Original Post to view embedded video files

1 comment:

art nasa said...

Sorry, but the first paragraph reminded me of an MCAT passage I read a few days ago. FML. Interesting read though and I appreciate the music videos.