"You Only Live Once" video still; The Strokes

Your own personal jesus


Sunday, August 9, 2009

Watch me do this--cuff bottomed jeans, coats with the fur


Haha alright.

A few days ago (August 7th) I was hanging out with my friend, the aforementioned Randy (see here) and our fellow commie Mo (comrade, coconspirator, compadre, cohort... not communist ;) ). Randy, who tends to be quite observant of my mannerisms (so he can pick on them later, what are friends for...) piped up sometime during the chill and asked me if I always roll up my pants.

By "roll up" he was referring to the cuffed bottom I had created, (like so):

At the time I just answered him saying that yes, I do always roll them up, when they are too long for me. Which, seeing as how I'm 5'2", is most days.

So that was my quick and easy answer for him right there and then, and Mo began pulling up a K-Pop music video (something entirely new to me) so I didn't let myself get further into it.

Oh but there was more. As usual ;-D

Interestingly enough just a few days earlier I had crouched down before stepping out the door to cuff yet again the bottoms of another pair of pants, when I started thinking about, well, my cuffed pants.

At first it used to feel like a nuisance, and I remember falling in LOVE with Charlotte Russe when I found a pair of pants that I wouldn't need to hem or cuff. As I got more proficient with shopping I found more and more of these "perfect fit" options, but even then the pants weren't always doing it for me.

As I finished rolling up my pants, got up, and stepped out the door, I realized the unique satisfaction of what I had just done. Finally thinking about what had become second nature to me, I got it. I wasn't doing this anymore because I felt I had to, but, well, because I GOSH DARN WANTED TO! Hahaha, to say the least. It was fulfilling and liberating, to come to understand this aspect of what I realize is now quite frankly, just... my personal style. ;-D Somewhere along the line, over the years, as I watched my mom make clothes and drowned myself even further in the things that inspired my tastes, developing this "personal style", I began my little love affair with detail-- piping (my favorite), cinching, ruching, ruffling, studding, slicing, tasseling tiering and tapering, crooking and... cuffing.

In my mind, cuffing had kind of become my signature. Not entirely definitive, you're not going to think of me and think--OH SHE WEARS CUFFED PANTS-- but on my own terms this is all mine. I had come to really embrace...engulf, what started out as something I used to do as a necessity from keeping the bottoms of my jeans from fraying over.

To me that was truly one lesson in personal style,

It's not what's in, or what's out. It's what is you. What YOU own. Not what owns you.

Take THAT overly long jeans!

(And I'm going to have to give a shout out to my mom for trying to teach me that every day of my life. ) ;p



So anyway.

I also believe neither your personal style nor your opinion of what is cool requires validation from anybody. --But I'm not gonna lie, I felt pretty forward-thinking and fly when I saw these freshly posted pictures of Pharrell, catching up to MY style. ;)




Git it.
;)




Things That Came Up Today:
  • K-Pop (the artist "Rain" to be exact)
  • Blick Art Supplies SALE (thanks Dare and Jo) dickblick.com/stores
  • "jumping pictures"
  • A photoshoot in an alleyway
  • eBay: Buy it Now versus Bid?
  • America's Best Dance Crew Season 4 Premiere
  • Chicken Tika Masala, Saag Paneer, Malai Kofta, Vegetarian & Lamb Samosas, Garlic Naan
  • Cranium
  • City High, Asher Roth, Cisco Adler


No comments: