"You Only Live Once" video still; The Strokes

Your own personal jesus


Friday, February 23, 2007

Grey's Anatomy is the worst show part II (this time it's on)

first of all, thanks all for the wide array of responses to my factual (haha) claim that "grey's anatomy is the worst show."

second of all, lemme get down to my business.

I remember when the previews for Grey's Anatomy first aired on ABC. I was hooked without even having watched the show. A show about the life of a female surgeon, highly dramatized, Patrick Dempsey grown out of his pre-pubescent "Can't Buy Me Love" stage, and hospitals. My favorite. It was going to be GREAT.

I watched the very first episode.
Wasn't bad.

But I wasn't hooked. Because I respect doctors and after the first episode I certainly didn't respect either Meredith Grey or "McDreamy". (Let's just take a step back and look at this real quick... "McDreamy"...??? I'm sure we could think of much more creative nicknames. So right off the bat this show lacks creativity. Haha yes i know that is an extreme statement but what about this show isnt? People were skewered on a pole for crying out loud...)

I am not judging Grey's Anatomy on the one episode that I experienced last night. I am judging it on the first episode, the first 5-10 minutes of a later episode that tortured me with ex-supermodel residents that uh...still look like supermodels (believe me, after medical school there is no such thing), doctors cheating on their doctor wives for their resident, while the doctor wife miraculously has time to deliver babies and allow time for a full face of pretty well-done make-up... and then repeated glimpses of further episodes, none of which I could really bare to watch for more than a minute or two.

A lot of you say it hooks you, honestly, it does the very opposite for me.

I kind of just want to run away screaming and crying.

I further make my judgement on Grey's Anatomy based on a very well written and credible article written by REAL DOCTORS, specifically about how the portrayal of the medical field in general in INSULTED by ... guess what guys... Grey's Anatomy.

I'm not saying that every show I watch has to mirror the real world that we live in. I understand that the real world often isn't as exciting as my own and thus does not make for great television (hahaha I kid somewhere in that sentence =p ), but what I fail to understand is what exactly about, for one, watching a man struggle between the torturous decision of whether to stay married to his wife (while cheating on her) or just leaving her for Meredith who isn't even pretty, is so ENTERTAINING? Really. And not even that, why do we always find such entertainment in other people's messed up lives? I could really start going off onto why this is also a reason that I do not support tabloid and celebrity media but then... that is for another time my lovers. =)

Plain and simply, I think the show is shallow. I'm not in anyway calling any of its viewers shallow, at all. I have a great many wonderful friends that take great joy in Thursday nights at nine, and I too have my own shallow ways of entertaining myself. Occasionally even I stop to wonder why Keira Knightley and Jamie Dornan broke up. (I was SO rooting for them.)

I think it is a shallow show because you could find this same storyline anywhere at all. I believe that using doctors, hospitals, and a well-noted broadcast station such as ABC are all just really good frosting on a badly burnt cake. Or like really pretty bandages that just don't stop the bleeding. Ha.

My concluding statement lies in this, that I realize a few of you are upset that of all the shows I picked to focus my attention on for a full 60 minutes minus the commercials, it had to be a "bad" one.

We all have learned probability right? If Grey's Anatomy were as good a show that many claim it to be, with a full multitude of good episides, the honest likelihood of me randomly selecting an episode to watch and it being bad would be very very very very low.

However, I did randomly select, and the episode WAS bad. Which means that you guys were probably wrong in believing that good episodes greatly outnumber the bad. There statistically would have to have been many more bad episodes in order for me to pick on this fateful night one episode, and happen to be a bad one in your opinion, which is exactly what happened and exactly what is. Many bad episodes. A very bad show.

I have watched only one complete episode of Desperate Housewives to this day. Guess what. Great show. Great episode.

Maybe you guys think that Desperate Housewives got lucky with me and Grey's Anatomy didn't.

I have a friend that doesn't believe in luck. Quite frankly, I don't think I do either. Especially when i just statistically showed you using probability and junk.


Clearly Desperate Housewives has a greater number of good episodes in a season, thus allowing me to by chance watch a beautiful episode.


Which brings me to another point, Desperate Housewives is over the top and unrealistic. Perfect. At least it doesn't tryyy to seem realistic by incorporating sterile hospital scenes.


Anyway,

that's that from me. Thanks for listening, reading, watching, commenting. Really, thanks. =)


I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
-- The Friends of Voltaire, 1906

No comments: